Tube like things growing on my live rock. ID anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisJackie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have these tube looking things growing on my rock. Anyone know what they are? Good or Bad? They are really starting to take over.....

:D Thanks in Advance

Chris

ufo.jpg

My first thought is Vermetid gastropods. I've never seen so many in one place though. If you look closely, do they have to tiny antennae? They also send out strands to collect detrius from the rocks. They are harmless to the tank.

No tiny antennaes, though the tips are a whitish color. I thought they were some type of tube worm or feather duster at first, but they never move or open up. They just grow & die off and collect in the overflow for my wet dry.

Here is a couple of close ups.

ufo2.jpg

ufo3.jpg

Chris

probably not a problem, I would guess a worm of some type but definitly not a vermetid gastropod since it has no antenae. probably not a chaetopterid either. I'm stumped.

Scottm said:
definitly not a vermetid gastropod since it has no antenae.

I'm not totally convinced they're not.
The antennae are very tiny and hard to see and they will withdrawl into the tube quickly. A macro shot would be needed with more detail but here is a pic of one with the antennae showing so you can see how small they are. You got have a better view than we do. Have you checked them at night for any changes?

Back
Top Bottom