Type of Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
What type of algae is this. Its been in my tank like a 2 months. Its a really thick dark green, and is very squishy when you touch it.
thanks

I don't have any experience with green but I would think it behaves the same as the red slime, and over time will spread throughout your tank.

so how do i get rid of it...i looked harder and it is starting to grow on all my live rock too.

Check your nitrates and phosphate levels. Also, you could try, lowering your light cycle, use RO/DI water if you aren't already, feed less and increase waterflow to the problem areas(add a powerhead or two). Cyano doesn't like high flow and will usually settle where there are dead spots, or low flow areas of your tank.

okay, i have a 20 gallon tank. i did a water change last weekend. i already use ro/di water. and i have a powerhead thats called a aquapump its 200gph. and its pointed like at the top of the glass in the front. where should i have that pointed? just point it like at the cyano until its gone? and i already have a phosphate pad in my penguin 330

Hmm, maybe you could move the ph down some so when it hits the glass, it bounces off back toward that rock. Other than that, I don't know what else to suggest. Did you try syphoning it off? You said it was getting thick, can you peel it up and remove it?

okay, i have a 20 gallon tank. i did a water change last weekend. i already use ro/di water. and i have a powerhead thats called a aquapump its 200gph. and its pointed like at the top of the glass in the front. where should i have that pointed? just point it like at the cyano until its gone? and i already have a phosphate pad in my penguin 330

I don't know what all you have for a clean up crew but, you could try some nerite snails. They eat cyano. I know liveaquaria.com sells them but perhaps your lfs may be able to get them for you. Beside eating cyano, they are very pretty and come in many colors.

To rid the tank of it quickly you can use chemi-clean. The problem is it will return quickly until you find out the cause of the high nutrients(phosphates). Test your water it may be time to change filters in the ro/di unit. It may be from overfeeding. Like stated above you can reduce the lighting times and create more water movement but these are preventative measures to keep it from flourishing. To stop it go to the excessive nutrients and stop it there.

Back
Top Bottom