Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2004, 03:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

UFO

Any idea what kinda fish this is?

Old 02-08-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like a Spotted Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus leptocephals) to me.

Moving to I.D. forum

Old 02-08-2004, 08:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree on the ID.

They do a great job keeping your sand looking white and beautiful... only problem is that they will devour just about all the microfauna in your tank (pods).

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:13 PM   #4

Yep, that is what it is,,, I have one and I will tell you,, no shortage of microfauna here... although I wouldn't have more than on in less than a 55 gal tank or they would for sure.... See mine?

My Watchman Goby
Old 02-09-2004, 02:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo2
I have one and I will tell you,, no shortage of microfauna here...
Lucky you... we had a single orange spot that practically decimated the entire pod population of a mature 175 gallon reef in less than a month.

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
Old 02-09-2004, 09:13 AM   #6

(Cryptocentrus_leptocephalus) or the Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby should not be confused with (Amblyeleotris guttata) the Orange Spotted Goby..

Orange Spotted Gobies have a terrible reputation of decimating tanks of benthic creatures such as pods, mysis, and worms...This is their main diet...

Pink Spotted Shrimp Gobies do sift sand, however are more carnivorous. Mine stays mostley in one area of the tank and eats meaty prepared foods...

I don't consider myself lucky, I have seen many Pink Spotted Shrimp Gobies alive in tanks and no shortage of microfauna experienced...

Note: This is my experience and observance and not that of all fish keepers....
Old 02-09-2004, 10:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo2
(Cryptocentrus_leptocephalus) or the Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby should not be confused with (Amblyeleotris guttata) the Orange Spotted Goby..

Orange Spotted Gobies have a terrible reputation of decimating tanks of benthic creatures such as pods, mysis, and worms...This is their main diet...

Pink Spotted Shrimp Gobies do sift sand, however are more carnivorous. Mine stays mostley in one area of the tank and eats meaty prepared foods...

I don't consider myself lucky, I have seen many Pink Spotted Shrimp Gobies alive in tanks and no shortage of microfauna experienced...

Note: This is my experience and observance and not that of all fish keepers....
I guess I can file this under the "you learn something new every day" category. I had been under the impression that all sand sifting gobies would deplete a tank of beneficial microfauna, thereby decreasing the effectiveness of a DSB.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks a lot.

about how big do they get?

This is off topic a little bit but is it OK to have 2 lawnmower blennies in one tank 230gal or will they still fight?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com