Unidentified Snail in FOWLR Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wyomingite

Aquarium Advice Freak
First post over here in the Salties forum. :) Started a FOWLR tank several weeks ago. Been cyclin' and I've seen a few interestin' critters from the live rock; stomatella, amphipods, starfish, bristle stars, some tube worms on the rock, and an assortment of snails. Some of the base rock I used was old, dead pieces of live rock I had from an attempt at a reef tank 20 years ago, and it was in a brackish tank. I hosed it down, scrubbed it with a brush, and cleaned it well before puttin' it in this tank.

Specific gravity is 1.026 (32 ppm salinity), I want to get it down to 1.024 when the cycle is finished and I do a water change. Regardless, this guy showed up, and for the life of me it looks like a Malaysian trumpet snail. I've kept MTS in brackish tanks before, but I didn't think they could survive above 'bout 25 ppm salinity/1.020 specific gravity. I've dug into a large number of research papers on the topic, and they all agree that this is the threshold salinity limit on MTS survival.

So can anybody tell me what this MTS look-alike is?

uniden11.jpg

Seriously, I'm hopin' there's some marine snail out there that is an MTS look alike and that this is something else, though as tough as those b******* are it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this an MTS stowaway that I missed on the rock I moved from my brackish tank.

WYite

Thank ya kindly! The shell is a lot smoother than any of the cerith snails I can find pics of, so I guess I'll hafta be happy with just plain ol' cerith snail. :)

Been lookin' on line for reproduction information, with inconclusive results. Will cerith snails self-fertilize or do they have specific genders?

WYite

Back
Top Bottom