Unknown Baby Fish from Florida...Need ID Help Plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coralAnn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I live in the suburbs of Little Rock, Arkansas
My daughter caught this baby fishie while we were at Ft Walton Beach. He's mostly translucent with a silver head and abdomen. He has a dorsal fin with a black dot on it, and his tail forks. He's a very aggressive little fella and eats like a whale!!! He has grown 1/2 inch in two weeks. Now he's a whopping 1inch long. Does anyone know what type of fishie he might be??? Thanks!!!

image-3526544091.jpg

This pic might help :))

It looks like it might be a cardinal fish?? It is difficult to say, I'm not confident in this ID. Just when I looked at the picture I had flashbacks to studying LA when I was setting up my first SW tank.

I think it's a Apogon sp. maybe dispar or melas or thermalis is or etc... There are several that are close, but none that are perfect.

Looks like it could be a Red Drum or Redfish, if so that's not good, they can get over 3 feet long!
Google juvenile red drum images. Not sure about the dorsal spot, but the splotches and shape look very close.

I am confident that it is not a cardinalfish, but (as I had suspected before) a mojarra (Gerreidae). From your second photo, I'm guessing it's a species of Eucinostomus. If you do an image search on that name, you'll see what I mean. If my identification is correct, your fish should have a highly protrusable mouth.

Tony

Tony Gill said:
I am confident that it is not a cardinalfish, but (as I had suspected before) a mojarra (Gerreidae). From your second photo, I'm guessing it's a species of Eucinostomus. If you do an image search on that name, you'll see what I mean. If my identification is correct, your fish should have a highly protrusable mouth.

Tony

Agreed, particularly Eucinostomus melanopterus. Nice job Tony Gill.

Eucinostomus%20melanopterus%20(G).jpg

Happy to help out. Gerreids aren't your typical aquarium fish, but it would certainly be interesting to keep it for a bit (until it gets too large).

Tony

reefrunner69 said:
Agreed, particularly Eucinostomus melanopterus. Nice job Tony Gill.

Ok...as I am a beginner and have very little knowledge about these animals, I can't seem to match him up with your suggestions. They are extremely close!!! Maybe it's just a variation within the species??? I dunno ... I tried to take a few better pics this time. What will I do if I have a fish that's gonna grow to be three feet long??? Good grief!!! LOL!!! Thanks for helping me!!! :)

image-752189202.jpg

image-1706178479.jpg

image-2272319117.jpg

How about this one, Centropomus mexicanus ( large scale fat snook). Only a couple juvenile photos to pick from, but this one looked close.
Was also thinking possibly Centropomus ensiferus ( sword spine snook), but couldn't find any juvenile pics.
Both are found in the western Atlantic, and get BIG...
Snook are a big-time sport fish, also called Robalo, and...umm...are quite delicious!!! Sorry!
Just trying to help, might be one of these, might not. Here's the pic

image-3800119681.jpg

Juvenile snook

Centropomus is a reasonable suggestion, but I am still confident it's a gerreid (mojarra). You can easily differentiate between the two by the mouths. In snooks (Centropomus) the lower jaw projects anteriorly beyond the tip of the upper jaw (versus about equal to it in mojarras). As I mentioned before, mojarras have highly protrusable mouths, where both jaws slide forward to more-or-less make a tube when feeding. Snooks have highly protrusable mouths too, but it's really only the upper jaw that slides forward. The two are very different in behaviour: snooks are largish (1 to 4 foot long) fish predators, whereas mojarras are relatively small (between 5 and 14 inches), bottom-feeding crustacean predators. There are 11 species of mojarras in Florida waters, belonging to four different genera (Diapterus, Eucinostomus, Eugerres and Gerres). The blotched colour pattern of your fish is typical of Eucinostomus species ... but it is also the largest genus in Florida (seven species). Identification to species is unlikely until your fish are somewhat larger, and even adult fish may require microscopic examination of features for correct identification.

Tony

Flreefer said:
How about this one, Centropomus mexicanus ( large scale fat snook). Only a couple juvenile photos to pick from, but this one looked close.
Was also thinking possibly Centropomus ensiferus ( sword spine snook), but couldn't find any juvenile pics.
Both are found in the western Atlantic, and get BIG...
Snook are a big-time sport fish, also called Robalo, and...umm...are quite delicious!!! Sorry!
Just trying to help, might be one of these, might not. Here's the pic

Juvenile snook

I think you're right. That is wild because my husband was just mentioning that he thought it was some kind of snook!!! I so appreciate your efforts!!! Thank you!!! Hmmm... Maybe he will be supper sometime!!! LOL!!! :)

In a few months, getting a definitive ID should be somewhat easier.
As far as ID's go, Tony definitely knows his stuff, so it could very well be what he has suggested. Just trying to offer some possibilities. Hopefully down the road, the info will prove useful.
Best of luck with them!
On another note, Snook is by far, my favorite fish. Above Mahi, Haddock, or Grouper...white, flaky, and mild. Good eats!! Sorry, feel funny saying this about fish that are in your tank, but it's the truth! :)

Flreefer said:
In a few months, getting a definitive ID should be somewhat easier.
As far as ID's go, Tony definitely knows his stuff, so it could very well be what he has suggested. Just trying to offer some possibilities. Hopefully down the road, the info will prove useful.
Best of luck with them!
On another note, Snook is by far, my favorite fish. Above Mahi, Haddock, or Grouper...white, flaky, and mild. Good eats!! Sorry, feel funny saying this about fish that are in your tank, but it's the truth! :)

I know what you mean.. its a lil Fd up but from time to time I look at some of my fish or friends fish and think to myself "i wonder how you taste" lmao.. maybe its just me and I'm terrible though lol

Mrc8858 said:
I know what you mean.. its a lil Fd up but from time to time I look at some of my fish or friends fish and think to myself "i wonder how you taste" lmao.. maybe its just me and I'm terrible though lol

Haha, no its not just you. I had a nice big Naso years ago they I had to trade because he was getting too big for my 135, and I often thought he would make 2 really nice filet sandwiches!! I would never do it, but it did cross my mind.
And before anybody says it, I know it is not advisable to eat any of our "normal" aquarium inhabitants.

Back
Top Bottom