Unknown coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm sure this is easy for you guru's out there but I'll be darned if I can figure out what kind of coral this is. I bought several items from a lfs that is going out of business and he sold this coral to me for $30. It's pretty good sized (about the size of a person's palm) but he didn't know what it was and I can't figure it out.

Help! :confused:

img_887010_0_1c0d555cd2d1fba96e2bb206f6ffc3fe.jpg

same coral but another view...

img_887010_1_61132aa89d5ccb063d0112eb69383bb7.jpg

Yes, I've seen them called a horn coral. Actually there a few differnt types of hydnophora. Branching and encrusting. That is the encrusting type. There are all very agressive corals.

This is the branching type.

hydno_3-08.jpg

Excellent! Thank you for the id. What is the growth rate of this coral? (I should put it next to some xenia that I'm trying to get rid of!)

S L O W growth.
If you put xenia next to it, the xenia won't be next to it for very long.

S L O W growth.
If you put xenia next to it, the xenia won't be next to it for very long.

Thank you much for that info. I would like to get it setup in a perm spot in the next day or two. And as for that tidbit of info on the xenia....good! I've been trying to get rid of that *$%^@# xenia for a while but it keeps coming back...now it's gonna have a new neighbor!

Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom