Unknown gift to me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywalker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was given this specimen when the poylp field was approximately 1x2 in. It has continued to grow despite no special care given to it. The person who gave it to me had no idea of its name. I just call it Harry.
I Attempted to have it identified several time resulting in no concrete answers. Any suggestions to the correct family tree would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

New at this. Thanks

Attachments

• 1390275410369.jpg
    1390275410369.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 159
Thanks.

I have some, I've been told it is a brown morph of GSP. It does grow from a very similar mat.

Upon research, it seems...

Erythropodium or encrusting gorgonian may very well be correct, 2 points to Narwhal

You can tell by counting fronds that it is an octocoral (8 arms). That would put it in the waving hand category to me. Unless I didn't count right.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390681727.092672.jpg

Thanks

Ok, if this coral is doing well in its environment... what other names of soft coral will also do well? Thanks.

This is a good coral that doesn't burn it's neighbors. It is encrusting, so have some sacrificial rocks around the main colony to keep it in check, it grows fast. Like most soft corals, it will grow, then die back sometimes only to re grow. My clowns love hosting it.

It is like Xenia, in its various forms. If you like softies, try a few mushrooms and some leather corals. Colt and Kenia are good beginner softies, the Kenia can be a problem because it drops branchs everywhere to propagate itself.

Green Star polyps (GSP) is also a fast encrusting softie that is gorgeous, just don't let it take over, it is aggressive.

Last edited:
This is a good coral that doesn't burn it's neighbors. It is encrusting, so have some sacrificial rocks around the main colony to keep it in check, it grows fast. Like most soft corals, it will grow, then die back sometimes only to re grow. My clowns love hosting it.

It is like Xenia, in its various forms. If you like softies, try a few mushrooms and some leather corals. Colt and Kenia are good beginner softies, the Kenia can be a problem because it drops branchs everywhere to propagate itself.

Green Star polyps (GSP) is also a fast encrusting softie that is gorgeous, just don't let it take over, it is aggressive.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390684826.906212.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390684863.256302.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390684883.265557.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390684943.072595.jpg

Some of my favorites, also zoas would be good for your reef.

Excellent.

Back
Top Bottom