Unknown Invert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

What is this little invert? It started out as a pin head sized thing then grew and multiplied.

My blenny poked his head in to say hello also. ;p

Attachments

• mysteryinvert.jpg
    mysteryinvert.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 123
Hmm.. are you sure? I just Googled that and found very different coral pictures.

Yeah, or some type of zoo polyp. I'll go take a pic of mine for you if you want.

This is the best shot I could get. They are in an odd spot for photographing. :? Keep in mind that colors vary as well. I have some brown buttons as well as green.

Yeah that's them. They're groovy. Do you know how they reproduce? They're "reef safe" as far as you know? Not that it matters.. I doubt I'd want to kill them.

They are save and they reproduce by budding, I believe that's what it's called. Those tiny ones you have around the large one are new ones growing. They will reproduce if the conditions are right but I wouldn't expect them to overtake the tank. They are a safe coral to have, not a very aggressive coral and are pretty low maintenance. They should get what they need from your lights and from water changes, as well as what they can get from you feeding the tank.

Any way of "forcing" reproduction? For instance I have read that you can litterally cut with scissors corilamorphs and they will continue to grow.

I would love to have many of these little corals in my tank. Everyone points and goes, "ooooh.. what's that?"

Yeah, you can do that with alot of corals but I don't believe zoo's are one of them.

Question... do these things start out iddy biddy and then grow up....
Meaning is it possible live rock has spores or eggs or whatever that might make these?

They do start out small but I have no idea if there would be spores or eggs on the live rock, sorry. I'd just watch the ones you have. They will multiply given time.

hehe don't have any... my rock is all new and mostly just has those feather duster/tube worm thingies on it.
Ahh well, nothing a little money and care won't fix (and a trip to the LFS)

Well mine started out so small I couldn't see them (pinhead sized) and then grew to what you see today. It's fascinating because I sort of raised them and have watched them multiply.

Back
Top Bottom