Unknown object

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
ForumRunner_20131125_191701.jpg

ForumRunner_20131125_191715.jpg

In these pics protruding from the upper left of the large white rock is an unknown growth. Sorry my phone takes crappy pics. The best way for me to describe it is some sort of polyp. When it comes out of the rock it is a tube then opens up into a long tentical " flower" I don't know it hitchhiked on a big chunk of LR that my Kenya tree was attached to when I purchased it. At first I didn't mind because they were really small but now their getting big and spreading. Also one of the larger trunks of my Kenya tree is wilting now and several very big ones of these are growing near its base. Its also semi-clear purple in color

Memo to self: never reply to an ID thread from my iPhone, with sun glare. Now that I'm home and viewing on a larger scream, I can see the anemone. All I could see before where the two lighter colored tentacles.
Sniperhawk is correct, definitely aiptasia.

The boiling lemon juice injection is a best bet then? What about the very small ones I can see sprouting should I just spray it on them? Is this a permanent solution or will I be fighting it for some time? Sorry about so many questions never had a problem like this before. Will my kenya tree be ok?

As long as you kill all in your tank now before they spread it will be a short battle. Do it fast before they spread because they can quickly overwhelm you.

When using lemon juice or kalk paste be sure to squirt some on the mouth before you plunge syringe into body to inject it within. They can release spores when threatened that will grow elsewhere. Applying the solution outside the mouth will help kill or at least trap the spores inside.

Edit: oh and be sure to turn off all pumps/powerheads when targeting. One other tip would be to do a water change and with old water in a bucket work with the infected rock in the bucket. Much easier to turn it so you can get the best angle.

Luckily guys I have only notice it on two rocks one being the original LR it came in on. It sure is doing a number on my kenya tree though, I thought nothing could hurt that guy but there is one of these apatsia coming up right next to his trunk ( which is about as thick as your thumb) and it is just wilting away. Will this lemon juice hurt the kenya? It is my only local option being that I don't have a LFS unless I want to drive 100 miles

If it is that close to the Kenya just take it out of water. Tilt the rock so any lemon juice drips down away from Kenya. Just do this process outside water. Kenya will be fine for a while.

What about getting some berghia nudibranche? Has anyone tried them with success? The more I read about the crap the more I feel like I have the plague now ;)

Something like Joes Juice or aptaisia x works best as the aptaisia will ingest it then die. You could also buy or DIY a zapper that uses low DC voltage to destroy the anemone thru hydrolysis. That's the fun way to do it!

http://youtu.be/MosBU6kuaHI

Last edited:
I have read quite a few reviews about aptasia x as that it only works briefly then they come right back

Berghia nudibranches will eat every last cell of aiptasia. But then they starve so it's best to catch them and give them to another reefer.

That's what I've read but I think it sounds like the most solid solution their expensive though 4 of them are gonna cost me $50 along with $50 shipping!

Back
Top Bottom