unknown polyp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought some fiji rock for my tank, and it had this polyp growing on it. I feel like I've seen it before, but I can't recall what it is.. the diameter is about the size of a nickel or so.

mysterypolyp.jpg

monjano anemone? prbly spelled it wrong but sounds like mahano i believe. and its bad, not sure how to kill them but i kno that u should.

It does look like a majano (I believe it is pronounced mojano...at least that what my friend says)....

It does kinda look like a bta but that could be because it looks bleached out. Is this the only one you've seen?

Yep, its the only one. It hasn't moved from where it was attatched to the rock, so if it IS an anemone it must be pretty happy where it is.. I've had it a little over a week :)

It could well be majano as suggest (more than likely) but I would leave it and see if it spreads. In the meantime, do a search on here for aiptasia and/or majano. That should get you plenty of info and homemade remedies on getting rid of them.

Thanks. I hope it doesn't spread.. it's awefully cute, it'd suck to have to kill it. And I've taken a look at the remedies, they seem pretty easy.. simplest being to squirt boiling water on it.

here's hoping :)

This is the best info I have ever seen on this site."Kill aiptasia with boiling water". Tried it and it worked perfectly. Turkey baster+boiling water= dead aiptasia. Thank you for your unexpected advise!

Boiling water does not always work and the same can be said for every other method. The problem with boiling water is that it looses its temperature once your delivery device is submerged and even if the water was still extremely hot upon contact, these amazing creatures have the ability to multiply under stress. If you really want to know the durable nature of these animals, yesterday I submerged 4 aiptasia into a high-strength bleach solution and after 4 hours they were still alive ;)

I have had aiptasia in my 125 with no lights, food, heat or flow for well over a year and they are still going strong. I would imagine the larger ones would easily split and move even with boiling water. I have tried Joe's juice, with the same results. I now use this method:
Nanoreefing.Com :: View topic - Aiptasia Killer

Some of mine were larger than a quarter!!!!

Speaking of how aiptasia can survive. When I finished with the rock work in the 120 I had a few pieces left over that I just dropped into a bucket of SW and left them there. Over this past weekend I just happened upon that bucket. There were aiptasia still kicking in the bucket. The water temp was around 50 and the bucket had a lid on it for nearly 6 weeks. They are tough critters to be sure!

I've have aiptasia (think I posted this elsewhere too) in my 125 with no food, heat, lights for about 1 year and they are still kicking.....

Back
Top Bottom