Urchin id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a good guy. I can't remember the name but I had one of them for years that came in as a hitch hiker. No worries.

Looks like a pencil urchin.Biggest problem with them is after they get bigger they will move your rocks and corals around.

That's a good guy. I can't remember the name but I had one of them for years that came in as a hitch hiker. No worries.

He is a very nice size ,
It has a very powerful hold onto rocks ,

It's not a pencil. rock borer is what it was called. It's fine. They don't actually chomp your rocks to pieces or anything as far as I have seen. They don't even make caves. Grazing across the reef is all I ever seen the 2 I had do.

It's not a pencil. rock borer is what it was called. It's fine. They don't actually chomp your rocks to pieces or anything as far as I have seen. They don't even make caves. Grazing across the reef is all I ever seen the 2 I had do.

They move pretty fast , far as soon as the lights go out

This is a pic of my rock borer.

75748-albums12608-picture61964.jpg

Shortly after he was put in I did notice that the point of one of my rocks disappeared one night which I attribute to him but *shrug* it might have just crumbled. I haven't really noticed any damage to other rocks since.

Their scientific name is Echinometra if you wanted to look at them in a little more detail.

Back
Top Bottom