Very interesting INDEED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJLiquid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone can possibly help me identify this interesting red pin head size creature that spools out a thin (web like) thread into the water column then reels it back in when it snags something. I thought it was a long piece of hair that kept annoying me. Everytime I removed the long strand of hair, it would again reappear! Then I looked at it closely and realized this little tiny nub was actually producing this long strand the height of my tank! Very clever! Can someone please help me identify this? :silly: Sorry I can't provide any pictures it's almost impossible to capture as I don't have any macro lens at this time.

I'm just amazed by all the different things I discover everyday! Even though it's been a costly endeaver it's been very much worth it.

Sounds like it may be a vermetid gastropod. A type of snail that uses mucus strands to fish for food. It is a stationary animal that has a calcareous tube and is often confused with duster worm tubes. If you look closely, you shoud be able to see two tiny anntenea like things sticking out of the tube.

Is it a bad thing or good thing to have? In other words should I keep it?

Back
Top Bottom