Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

very tiny white things on glass

forgive me, I'm new to saltwater, but I recently purchased a 100gal fishonly tank from a individual, and I have had it set up for almost 2 weeks & now these little very tiny white things are in the right front corner of the tank. I have looked on this site for possible match, but I don't think they look like any of the pictures of pods or worms that have been posted. They are too small to take a picture of. They look like grains of salt running on the glass, I do not see antenna's, they do not curl, I don't know what they r or what to do Any help would be greatly appreciated. Salt levels are fine, I kept most of his water & added about 20gals of new water, the only thing my nitrates are soaring, but everything else is 0 could I have a bad test maybe or is this possible?

I'm running a Bio Wheel, 2 Power Heads, Mag 350, Protein Skimmer, I do not have live rock yet, but I will start investing soon, I think the sand is live, but I'm not sure on that neither. I'm still learning about this tank, but upset over these critters in the tank.

Fish
Yellow Tang, Nemo- Clown, Dog Face Puffer, Firefish, Scooter Blenny, just purchased a choc. chip star and mandarin Goby, excuse the spelling, but I think that is what he is..

Old 07-08-2004, 12:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The white things are pods or worms. It is a good sign that the tank is running right. They will not hurt anything. I had the sam question a few months back.

Old 07-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would seriously consider taking the mandarin back to the LFS as it will starve without an abundance of LR in mature tank.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Atari. Also the choc. Star will be a pain in the butt in a reef tank. Trust ME on this one. Mine killed an anemone, and a xenia frag in 1 week.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would be more concered about that puffer! He is a canivore.. I your little blenny would be a nice snack for him...
Old 07-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Liveaquaria.com has alot of beneficial info on all types of fish SW and FW. They also have a compatibility chart that will tell you what type of fish will get along with other fish. I know this wasnt the info you were looking for, but maybe you can use it.

Here is a link to the Fish. http://liveaquaria.com/product/categ...d=21&pcatid=15

Here is a link to the compatibility chart. http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/c...lity_chart.cfm
Old 07-09-2004, 08:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thanks ya'll I appreciate all the advise I can get. My local pet store just told me about the star would eat the reef if we started one, but he didn't say anything about the goby or dogfish puffer. the store actually sold the tank originally to the people we purchased from. all the fish were already in the tank when we purchased, we added the starfish & the goby. I will see if they will take the goby back. thanks!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

im in the process of cycling my tank and i too notice white specs on the glass...the only thing i have introduced so far is dry sand and a bag of that bagged live sand (which i now know was a waste of money) could it be pods in my tank...i didnt think there was any way for them to develope in my tank yet

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i fogot to mention that i also and the shrimp in...could this be pods in my case or do they ahve to come in on my lr? i thought that it was salt build up on the glass or something and was gonna wipe it off!

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
Old 07-12-2004, 11:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone?

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com