web like algae any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blondek727

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok good morning everyone i have a quick question there is this brown web/stringy like algae in my tank it grows on my rocks, sand, and it even grows over a little patch of hair algae in my tank heres a couple pics id really like to know what it is and how to get rid of it oh and its weird because there will be less of it in the morning and more in the afternoon

Attachments

• DSCF0237.jpg
    DSCF0237.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF0247.jpg
    DSCF0247.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 80
Could be either cyano or dinos. Either is caused by too many nutrients in the water....as is evidence by the hair algae. You need to remove the excessive nutrients which are feeding the algaes.
How often do you do water changes?
What kind of water do you use? ro, ro/di, well, tap, etc
Do you run a skimmer and if so, what kind?
Do you run carbon?
Do you run GFO?

iv done water tests and have no signs of any nutrients in the tank, i do water changes with ro water that i make at my house every week of 10g, im running an nwb110 reef octopus skimmer, and i am running carbon as well. what the heck is GFO?

have no signs of any nutrients in the tank
You have all the signs of nutrients in the tank you can possibly want. Just look at all the algae...which is the end result of excessive nutrients.

Have you tested the TDS output of the RO?
What brand carbon do you run, how much do you use and how often do you change it?
GFO - granular ferric oxide, is used to remove phosphate which is another nutrient that fuels nusiance algae.

iv done water tests and have no signs of any nutrients in the tank, i do water changes with ro water that i make at my house every week of 10g, im running an nwb110 reef octopus skimmer, and i am running carbon as well. what the heck is GFO?

If your phosphates and nitrates are coming out at 0, it's because of the algae growth. The algae is consuming the nutrients in your water as fast as they are produced essentially giving a false 0 reading. What you'll have to do to combat your algae growth is cut back on your lights, keep doing your water changes, and reduce the amount you feed. Also, when you make your water for your PWC, run a nitrate and phosphate test on it before you use it. Even though you are using an RO filter, without the DI part some stuff may be getting into your water still from the tap, also one of your filter media may be exhausted and if it is, it is not filtering properly.

Running carbon helps absorb some of the nasties, but after a week it'll usually be filled to capacity and begin leeching stuff back into the water.

i did another water test with a better kit here are the results. ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, phosphate 0.5 so you guys were right my phosphates are up so i did a water change but i think im gonna have to get a phosbane reactor or something what do u think

Back
Top Bottom