Weird worm like thing just popped up in my week old tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

berrset1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I have had my tank running for a week now. Today i saw my first 3 little organisms pop out. A starfish, a small shrimp and an odd worm i cant seem to identify. Its body is blue in color and it has many white spikes/hairs along its sides. It weaves in and out of the live rock holes slowly. :thanks:

Attachments

• 2014010495192358.jpg
    2014010495192358.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 133
Bristle worm...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 Bristle Worm. Ok to have in your tank. Can get pretty big.

I thought bristle worms were a reddish color? He is very blue looking. He looks like that, just smaller.

Attachments

• 040804skdd4129m3.jpg
    040804skdd4129m3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 118
Bristle worm is a generic term to describe similar worms of varying species. Sometimes folks call the red varieties Fireworms etc. They're all pretty much the same thing.

Bristle worm is a generic term to describe similar worms of varying species. Sometimes folks call the red varieties Fireworms etc. They're all pretty much the same thing.

Okay. Thank you. Im gonna investigate when the lights go out and see if i can find more. What do you think the limit should be on these little guys?

A lot of folks like them as they are detritivores. Just watch out for their bristles. There are bristle worm traps available than can help if you want to remove them. I usually just leave them alone. Once they get big, I try to grab them with tongs and just dump them in my sump.

Back
Top Bottom