Weired click click click noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CircleOfLinks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys

I need your help with something. I hear some weird noises coming from my tank like 3-4 fast click noises coming from my tank. It happens at night mainly and but also when the lights off except for the tv light.

Anyone know what it is and how I can identify or kill it?

I don't have anything in my tank just live rock about 35kg in my 65gallon tank.

I've added new rocks about 2weeks ago (20kg was added) and am just waiting for it to get back to normal level to start adding fish.

All help and advice is greatly appreciate

Regards

- Danny

If it's fast clicking you may have a mantis shrimp hitchhiker. :)

Look for holes in the rocks or digging in the sand

If it is a mantis shrimp, be careful,..they can inflict a serious "whack" if you get too close.....

"whack" is an understatement lol I read in a marine biology textbook that the impact force of a mantis shrimps "club" hitting an object is the equivalent of a .22 rifle round impacting a target!!

ive been hearing some weird clicking come from my tank as well i believe its a mantis because i had a mantis hitch hiker once before in a previous sw tank ive been sneaking around the tank real late to try and find him but i guess hes pretty well hid

I work in the sport fishing industry and every now and then someone will bring one up in a bucket that they caught for an ID,....I can tell you from experience that they are not the friendliest of creatures out there,....there's some utube videos out there that show them killing just about everything that's put into a tank,...nasty , nasty attitude.

how do i catch it i never caught the last one was my very first sw tank about 6 years ago and i ended up selling the tank and upgraded to a bigger one

I thought of that but the fact that it's a fast series of clicking made me go mantis shrimp.

Nope. And mantis' aren't bad, as long as you have them by them selves in a species tank. They are extremely smart and colorful. But in a reef tank they will eat them and in a tank with inverts they will be beaten to death.

needmorecowbell said:
Nope. And mantis' aren't bad, as long as you have them by them selves in a species tank. They are extremely smart and colorful. But in a reef tank they will eat them and in a tank with inverts they will be beaten to death.

ouch are they hard to remeove

Geeez what a response... :)

Ok so I'm assuming it's defiantly a mantis shrimp coz the other night I saw something that looks like a 'beatle' (so i thought) it was about 2cm long and 1cm wide, it was White / cream coloured and was wry quick. As soon as I turned my tanks light on I saw it run into a hole in the rock. I only saw it for latterly a sec but it did look like a shrimp (after google what a mantis shrimp looks like)

How do I catch it? Anyone know a good step-by-step trick to catching it?

Thanks heaps

-Danny

Ok cool and what should I use for bait?

Also if I'm not sure what rock can I just place 2 bottles in and do they have be standing or lying down?

Thanks heaps

- Danny

I had a mantis in my old 55g. that guy was nasty for sure. He killed off a few of my fish. I finally found him after keeping watch over my tank at night. He always slept in the same rock. I got tired of him so I did a fresh water bath on the rock he lived in. Never saw him come out, but my fish stopped disappearing. I sure as **** didn't want to pull him out.

If you did have a species tank with this lil bad boy...could you have more than one? Or would they beat each other senseless?

What's better glass bottle or a plastic bottle?

I was told they can knock down the plastic bottle

Also is prawn ok for bait?

Thanks heaps

- Danny

Back
Top Bottom