what are these

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David S

Aquarium Advice Addict
1. Zoa polyp, or button polyp.

2. Foraminiferan - Harmless filter feeders. Come and go as nutrients present themselves.

3. Looks a little like the first one, so could be a polyp of some sort, but the long tentacles plus the brownish color makes me think aiptasia.

If the the first and third happen to be aiptasia by unanimous vote of other reefers here, then you should consider exterminating them since they are bad. Wouldn't worry too much about it since it's in the sump, but it could spread to your main tank, although i'm not 100% sure on that one. For the aiptasia, injecting kalkwasser into the oral disc will kill it. You can use other things too, like Aiptasia-X, Joes-Juice, etc.. Many products and solutions for killing aiptasia can be found here on this site(just use the search button), or online anywhere. Just use google. ;)

Well, peppermint shrimp won't always go after aiptasia, so that's not a surefire way to tell if it's aiptasia or not. Peppermint shrimp usually only eat aiptasia that are small, and are just forming. Some of the larger pep shrimp MAY eat the larger ones, but it's still a hit or miss. The way to figure out if it's aiptasia(usually), is to poke it with something and if it shrivels up, or sinks into the rock, you've got yourself an aiptasia nem.

I think your right Mike after searching more on this site in the gallery it definately looks like a button polyp and glad as I am upgrading my nano and refugium to a 90G(uk) and sump soon.

David

where ever there isnt alot of current. they will multiply. the second pic kinda looks like a mushroom

Back
Top Bottom