Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What are these?

I got these worm-like creatures on a couple of my LR. They are almost as thin as a human hair. They reach out to other parts of the rock and in the case of these pictures to another rock.

I tried my best to get some good pictures of them but, I am no photographer for sure. Seems the closer I try to get the worse the picture is. Anyway, I have put up a few pictures, the worms (for lack of a better term) are in the middle of the pic sorta reaching up toward the top.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 04-26-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've also got them. I think they're Spaghetti worms. Mine extend from a central tube all over the sump, and they string back particles of sand over their long bodies. They then use some of it to extend their tube that sticks out of the rock.

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep..yep...thats what they do.....wierd little fellas. The thing is are they good or evil?
If they are evil critters, how the heck do you get rid of them? They are fun to watch though. I sit there and try to figure out what the heck they are trying to do.

Anyway thanks for the input.

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

no problem.

And no, they're beneficial consumers of detritus, so they are not harmful. I've got them all over the place. HTH!
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com