What are these???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLeggedHermit

Aquarium Advice Freak
just noticed these on the bottom of one of my rocks while i was moving it. any idea what they are?

2012-08-04-220935.jpg

It might be some sort of zoa or paly. Leave that part of the rock towards the light and they should open up.

they dont open up at all. they just stay like that. the rock had been sitting in the light just like that for a long time before i took the pic.

RedLeggedHermit said:
they dont open up at all. they just stay like that. the rock had been sitting in the light just like that for a long time before i took the pic.

It may take awhile for them to acclimate to the light and open if they are polyps. I had some zoas stay closed for a couple weeks before opening. Also try touching them and see if they are soft or hard.

Yes i would touch them to feel if soft or hard. Will be able to tell what it is better with that info.

they are like a semi hard foam when i toughed one. and when broke off from the rock they float really well.

RedLeggedHermit said:
they are like a semi hard foam when i toughed one. and when broke off from the rock they float really well.

Is it possible its styrofoam wedged in the rock from a shipping container? Lol just a wild guess i though i would ask.

Schism said:
Is it possible its styrofoam wedged in the rock from a shipping container? Lol just a wild guess i though i would ask.

My 36 has styrofoam in it from the lr being shipped. Annoying and after a year I still haven't got all of it.

Don't do this in the tank, get one and squeeze it (you may want gloves on just in case and make sure your eyes are covered). Does it pop? Almost looks like a bubble algae to me.

Back
Top Bottom