what are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeladawng

Aquarium Advice Activist
anyone know what these things are? guy at lfs says the things that look like honeycomb are brain coral but I don't know what the other thing next to it is....any ideas? he also said I picked out 2 really nice pieces of rock....is he right about that too??

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 105
get rid of both rocks?? they both have them and they are pretty small...I know I have to get rid of it but how??? is there a CUC member who will chow on them?? This really sucks...I was really happy about these new live rocks because of all the good stuff on them and really don't want to just get rid of them...what should I do??

There's Aiptasia-X that you can buy from the store.... Or you can "pluck" them off with tweezers or I've read injecting them with boiling water or lemon juice works. Google how to get rid if them. Don't get rid of your rocks though. No need. Just grab those bad guys up quick before they take over!

will they reproduce and take over faster than I can pick them off? I really don't want to dose the tank but I really had my eyes on some cool corals that I would like to get but I don't want them to get killed by the pesty. or maybe just go FOWLR and get a butterfly fish...butterfly fish eat them. if it was YOUR tank, what would you do? :ermm:

I'd probably pick them off one by one. I'd dose them with the lemon juice or boiling water I guess. I'm not sure exactly what they do, if they harm fish etc, but I know they multiply quickly. Maybe post a new thread about best ways to get rid of aiptasia.... Or search threads because I'm sure someone else has asked. :)

Do NOT pick them off!!! Any fragmented remnants left of the anemone will grow to become more anemones. Best off to chemically kill them..... use the search function for aipstasia and you will probably find hundreds of threads on this forum alone. There are many different methods of eradication..... hot vinegar or lemon juice, Joe's Juice, Aipstasia-X, Kalk paste. Any of these injected directly to the anemones mouth will typically kill it.

I had a few in my tank I used Aiptasia-X its really easy to use it comes with a applicator you just need to squirt it all over the centre face part also turn anything that creates flow in your tank before and for 15mins after as it implodes but its then gone a few days later, the plus sides didn't affect anything in the tank

Went to petco tonight and got some aiptasia-x.....LOVE IT....first off, they matched their online price...was $4 more in-store than online. Score 1 for me. Second....it's like a roach motel...they check in, but they don't check out. Found 3 and got them all. Now will wait and see if any more pop up. You get a pretty good sized bottle so it should last a while. Time to get some peppermint shrimp to take care of any babies. Thanks for helping me identify :)

Back
Top Bottom