What are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikenhecker1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found them growing on the LR in the back where nothing could get to it. When I moved the rock to redecorate there they were. Can anyone help?

image-2417277693.jpg

image-3870511481.jpg

image-534774375.jpg

That appears to be a very invasive type of caulerpa. It's a macro algae. If I'm seeing correctly, I would get that rock out of my tank ASAP.

d:-( awe that sux. Well thanks. They started as big hollow tubes and now there are sharp pointy ones. And they only grow in the dark. What if I take the rock out and let it dry for a while. Will that kill it? Just curious.

I think I'm looking at two different kinds of animals here. One is a long hollow tube that is smooth and thin and the other is a short fat tube made of filaments. I think they might be squirts or something. What do you think?

image-3495833345.jpg

image-2332866261.jpg

The short fat Q-tip looking things are referred to as Q-tip or pineapple sponge. I don't know what the tubes are. Interesting though. I would want to see them grow larger.

Thanks for the info. The pineapple sponges are filter feeders that eat leftovers and I read where if I have a bunch of them then I am feeding too much/often. Which I may be guilty I'd lol d:). Might just keep it up or fry them in the light. Thanks again.

I disagree. I think Q-tip sponges, or any sponge in general that's thriving, is the sign of a healthy tank. Those tubes you see are filtering water for nutrients. How can they be bad?

I just thought that a lot of nutrients were a sign of over feeding and that these guys were helping to balance the equation. So if I wanted them gone I would have to not feed so much and move the rock into the light. My Trates have been a little high lately come to think about it.

Ok sounds good. Yeah there are a bunch of little tube worms on that rock as well and they all kinda blend. I like it d:)

Back
Top Bottom