What are these corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
unkowncoral1.jpg

unkowncoral2.jpg

im with x on the first two, then the next post im seeing is zoas, the next one is something im not familiar with, then maybe like a cabbage leather? (not sure on that one either). then just some brown polyps, even the one on the bottom

the second one down is a majano anemone. it's a pest anemone. yep, cabbage leather and zoanthids.
they all are in need of better lighting IMO. did you buy the lighting with the rock and coral, or is this different lighting?

maybe the bulbs need to be changed then? maybe 80 watts per 3 feet isn't cutting it. most corals aren't brown. brown seems to be the default color when a less than ideal situation is presented. lighting, nitrate...phosphate...something. it usually turns out to be lighting for softies.

though it very well could be that the old tank owner liked buying brown zoanthids.....

these lamps you have now, are they retrofitted in the canopy? if so, you can pick up another 2 x 54 watt t-5 retro, or even a 4 lamp retro. it's not watts, it's efficiency that you are after.

just so im understanding correctly, the lamps are 160 watts each, and you have 4 of them, or the total wattage is 160?

I believe they are retro fitted - what exactly does that mean? DIY?.

4 160 lamps for 640 watts total with 2 Icecap ballasts

So get 4 x 54 watt t5's? Where can I find 72" bulbs?

So I did some more research and bought some lights from aquacave.com

2 ATI Blue Plus T5's 80w each
1 ATI purple t5 80w
1 ATI Aquablue t5 80w
4 reflectors, 4 pr endcaps and standoffs

I will connect to my existing icecap ballasts

i was going to say that you probably only have to replace the bulbs and you should be ok, but that will work too. btw, can you get 2 more for a total of 6 lamps?

Back
Top Bottom