What are these on glass ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim D

Aquarium Advice Regular
Doing my usual look 8O around I spotted these on the glass..... Can I be enlightened by someone in the know. Thank you :D Is this any better reefrunner

sorry reefrunner...not that good a camera. They seem clear and are right above a flame scallop. Does that help any.

I gotta go to bed now.....work in the morning. Please keep this post going :sleeping:

Just a guess but they resemble broken Byssal Threads. Perhaps the File Clam attached to the glass and then detached to move somewhere else.

My second guess is Snail slime.

I think i have what you just found. I was looking at my tank today and noticed for the first time, this little snail-looking thing (a small snail)crawling around near the top of the water. i have no idea where it came from. is this a bad/good thing? can anyone help?

fishtankfish said:
I think i have what you just found. I was looking at my tank today and noticed for the first time, this little snail-looking thing (a small snail)crawling around near the top of the water. i have no idea where it came from. is this a bad/good thing? can anyone help?

Does the snail you found look like this? If so, it's a stomatella snail... beneficial micro algae eater....

yeah, thats what it looks like. thanks for the help. im kind of new at a tank so id like to know all about these things. any more info on them? where do they come from? thanks again.

fishtankfish said:
yeah, thats what it looks like. thanks for the help. im kind of new at a tank so id like to know all about these things. any more info on them? where do they come from? thanks again.

Stomatella snails are harmless herbivores that feed on micro algae. They stay under 3/4 of an inch in size and typically hitchhike into your tank on liverock.

Back
Top Bottom