What are these??? (pics attached)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaveChild

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what these are?? The first one looks like a bristle worm (I think) and I have no clue what the second one is. My tank is only 2 weeks old.

Pic 1
900682worm.jpg

Pic 2
086581thing.jpg

The first is definitely a bristleworm

The second looks like a snail, I do not know the species, but I want to say it's a sundial snail.

WOW! you guys are quick!

Should I get rid of the bristle worm?? Actually I have a bunch of them that one just happens to be the slowest....lol

The bristleworms are beneficial, IMO, great detrivores. The sudial snails (if that is what you have, do a google search) will prey on zoos, manual removal is the easiest.

Any information I have found on sundial snails (Heliacus sp. snail) seems to point to the fact that they are black and white. The creatures in my tank seem to be pink/purple and white. Is is possible they are some kind of worm all curled up??

Could this be a possibility?
snail1.jpg

faq_tinyturbo3.jpg

This is the description from the website:
"When I look in my tank at night, I see many very small snails all over my rocks and glass. Their shells are no more than a 1/2 centimeter across, round (not conical), and have a checkered pattern. There are alot of them, are they harmful?"

"These are probably not harmful at all. They are most likely a small species of the Genus Arene (Astrea) or possibly of the Genus Macarene snail. The differences are minute as the two families are closely related. They are perfectly reef safe and will graze film algae at night. In the author's experience, they can reproduce quickly, becoming a small army in a short period of time. "

well i am goign to have to say get the bristleworms out of the tank. i have seen the one in my tank eat my zoo. i saw him do it many times. then i got him out of the tank and now there is nothing eating them. but the one i had was a good size. about 1.5 in long so i am not longer for the keeping of bristleworms in tanks.

Back
Top Bottom