What are these please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdw1974

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I'm setting up my first marine aquarium. I'm roughly 3 weeks into maturing the aquarium and this star fish and anemone have appeared presumably from the LRImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395782842.288049.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395782867.481709.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395782890.239612.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395782911.100162.jpg Can anybody identify them please

Hi, in my opinion get rid of that starfish!!! Before you know it you will be overrun with them. After first seeing them In my tank 2 years ago I'm am still taking 3-4 of them out each week

The stars don't hurt anything. They mostly eat algae. The anemone is another story. They spread and look ugly, and sting anything they touch. This you will need to remove.

Ok thanks. What kind of star fish is it so I can do a little research? Is the anemone a glass!!! Would you advise I get rid of and what is the best way?

Take out the rock and chisel it off. My cousin uses aptasia X. You squirt it into its mouth and it dies, but there is a good chance it will spread.

Ok thanks. What kind of star fish is it so I can do a little research? Is the anemone a glass!!! Would you advise I get rid of and what is the best way?
The most common stars we see in aquariums is the asterina star. I'm assuming this is what you have there. They come in many colors and I've seen them with as little as one leg, and as many as 6 ....maybe more.
Here is a nice article about starfish-
Starfish: Considerations for the Common (and Commonly Misunderstood) Varieties by Anthony Calfo - Reefkeeping.com

As for the aptasia anemone, yes, it's also called a glass anemone. If the tank is brand new, you can pull the rock and burn it off with a cigarette lighter, knock off a chunk of the rock it's attached to and discard, or use chemical means like aptasia-x, joe's juice, kalkwasser paste, injecting it with vinegar, boiling, water, or lemon juice.....
This most likely will not be the last one you see, so you might want to get something to keep around, like one of the chemical remedies.

Thanks Mr X. That information looks most helpful.

Back
Top Bottom