What are these things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdbillson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
started off with a few of these and looked kinda cool. now all over(still look kinda cool) but what are they?IMG_0026.jpg

Welcome to AA and yes that's Aiptasia get rid of them... if you can... they sting corals other anemones and fish.

any tips on getting rid of them other then manually picking them off?

There is an aiptasia treatment that you dose locally to each individual aiptasia... there are also things that eat them... most only eat the small ones so you would have to pick the big ones and the inverts would help to keep them from reproducing too fast.

Do NOT manually pick them off. They will multiply more than you thought possible. I made that mistake when I first got my tank. "Hmm... I'm just going to twist this bugger off with some tweezers. There that should do it..." WRONG!

Anyway... those are some pretty fine specimens of aiptasia you've got there. A couple things you can do is use a commercial product called "Joe's Juice", or another called "Aiptasia-X". Both seem to do the job quite well - just follow the instructions and turn off any circulation pumps when you're applying the stuff. The other thing you can do is get some kalkwasser and mix it with some saltwater to make a paste and "feed" it with a syringe to the bugger. As it kind of retracts and begins to melt, just kind of cover it with a thin layer of the paste. It won't be back. Do a few each day and eventually they'll be gone. Search the forums here for the keyword "aiptasia" and you'll find many more options for removal.

One more note if you kill them all in one day in that way you will get an ammonia spike. So as Kurt said "Do a few each day..."

I had some in my 14 gal bio. I got a peppermint shrimp.....he ate them all!

really? I have always had success with manual removal

You may have actually pulled off the critter without damaging it. If any of it is left behind, youll have heck to pay for it. You must have some nimble little fingers. :-D

They remind me of xenias...Just a TINY bit that doesnt look like its anything at all WILL turn into a colony. Just you wait. :)

Matt

I suck them up into the turkey baster when pull them up. I do a scrape and suction thing. I may have gotten lucky though, that has happened once or twice. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom