What are these things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. I have noticed a bunch of little red thigs covering my sand bed and my live rock. I have no idea what they are. They almost look like little red flakes. They are rectangular in shape. I think they may be some sort of a flat worm. Only guessing b/c I saw a couple move around today. They only slide about 1/8th of an inch and just sit there. I wish I had a poic but i don't have a digital camera. Sorry! Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Are they kind of like a nautical flag?

IE they are rectangular in shape on three sides but one side is as if you pushed the center of the box in to form a V?

Sounds like the infamous flatworms. These can become a nasty plauge.

Yup...sounds like flatworms to me. I have them too. In fact, I am starting the treatment of my tank for them tonight at 11:00PM.

The Flatworm Exit, wasn't a mantra, it is a treatment, by salifert. Heard nothing but good things about it

Thats what im gonna use. Just trying to phych myself up for it. Gotta watch the tank for 6 hours after treatment, then add carbon. :?

Salifert's Flatworm Exit is simply awsome! It took care of a nasty flatworm infestaton we had awhile back. It also can be used as a dip for new corals and rock to help keep from introducing new flatworms into your tank.

Haha....thanks kevin. I'll give it a shot. I guess I gotta find 6hrs to watch the tank in order to do it. :?

Done!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

I used a PH to blow as many of them off the rocks before I started and syphoned as many of them as i could out of the tank (with 5 gal of water). I replaced the water i removed with fresh saltwater. Then i added 65 drops of the Flatworm exit to 1 cup of tank water. I figured 1 drop per gallon of water, in a 55gal tank with a 10 wet\dry, and a 10 gal fuge, with 3"dsb and about 120lbs of LR in the system, would equal about 65 gal of water (best guess :? ). I had about 1.5lbs of GAC ready in a micron bag. I poured the water with the Flatworm Exit into a high flow area of the tank. Within 5 minutes I had a storm of dead flatworms floating around in the tank :twisted: . I syphoned as many of the dead ones out that I could (about another 5gal of water). I then replaced the water with fresh salt water and added the GAC to my sump. I waited about an hour, and added another 26 drops of FWE into the tank, just in case the GAC started pulling it out too soon. Then this morning i did a 20gal water change, and syphoned out all the dead flatworms i could see in the sand. Of course i removed a lot of sand with all this syphoning, so i added about 2 cups of fresh sand to the system. When i rinsed the pre-filter and dumped the water i could see hundreds of dead flat worms. It was a massacre, but it had to be done... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wow!

How does the flatworm exit solution specifically target flatworms and not other organisms? That's cool.

Im not sure how it targets just Flatworms and not other inverts as well, but i did find a thread on RC that says you can use a perscription grade heart worm medicine for dogs to treat your tank for flatworms. Maybe Salifert just uses it's active ingrediant.

I hope I am anyway, cause I am gonna have to be doing the treatment for red bugs in the near future (I gotta wait till I can afford a new detrivore kit + overnight shipping of said detrivore kit), and I don't want to learn that it is getting less specific on what it kills.

Back
Top Bottom