Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
What are these things in my tank??

I took a pic of these but I cant seem to attach it . I think its sort of some POD. Its white in nature and are all over the tank but mainly in the sump and overflow area...They dont move from what i can tell and look like little white bags with little blooms of a sort at the top. Let me know what you think. All of my levels are perfect and I have about 75lbs of LR. Its a 125 with only 4 small fish in there and has been set up since last Nov.
Thanks

Old 06-10-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds like Q-tip sponges (Scypha cilliata).

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are these good or bad? I tried squeezing one that I got out of the tank and they are like snot....sorry to be gross. Do I need to worry about them? I would assume not with the name Q-Tip!!
Old 06-11-2004, 04:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Assuming they are sponge, they are fine in your tank. Not good, not bad, just another bit of life. Other than that they are filter feeders and should never be exposed to air.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you mean by "should never be exposed to air?" Also where can I go to see pics of different spounges or to help me ID these things.
Thanks
Old 06-11-2004, 10:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can get an id here

http://articles.uwphoto.no/oversikte...ne_Sponges.htm

Do a search for scypha.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks kwan....From the list that was there, it appears there are 2 that look like the things in my tank. the first one is cliona and the other is scypha ciliata....both appear to be able to be purchased so I assume this is something people want in there tank. Just seems like there are more and more of these things growing. What can I get to eat some of this?? Or do I want this?
Old 06-11-2004, 10:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had lots of scypha ciliata in my canister filter and protein skimmer, but not in the main tank. But they seems to hang around high water flow area with low light. I don't think they are harmful, but more unsightly. They eventually blocked my canister filter and I had to remove them by hand. A butterfly might eat them, I think. And they reproduce rapidly!
Old 06-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes they do reproduce for sure!! I dont mind them in the overflow as it is huge and the sump is ok too...just not in the tank...not to many in the tank though so will try and keep it that way. Dont know where I would have picked these up from....guess LR...Thought my wrasse would eat them but guess not!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com