What are these tube like things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone explain what this is. They are coming up all over my tank. How do you get rid of them?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394335002976.jpg
    1394335002976.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 1394335023960.jpg
    1394335023960.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 178
So what are these guys. . Little white string things come out of them. Are they good or bad?

They are a type of tube worm, um I forget the name but they're harmless.
Edit: spionid worms

I do have one of these. I think this is a feather duster. What do you think? When you put your hand by it, it goes back in the tube. It is very small, I wonder if it will grow bigger?

Attachments

• 1394941502529.jpg
    1394941502529.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 122
I do have one of these. I think this is a feather duster. What do you think? When you put your hand by it, it goes back in the tube. It is very small, I wonder if it will grow bigger?

This pic is a feather duster, the first pics are spionid worms

How do I get rid of them. I bought a 6 line wrass, he hasn't gone after them.

They aren't vermetid snails and even so they aren't bad. No need to get rid of them

They take over your tank and make it look messy. They clean the water. But they look terrible on rocks.

I have tons and my tank doesn't look messy. It's easy enough to just smash them if you don't like them but they don't make a tank look messy. Either way neither pic the op posted are vermetids

Keeping a salt aquarium...a piece of the reef, means keeping all sorts of creatures that dwell in the ocean. I'm not sure why you would want to destroy things that are harmless. Isn't it counter productive? I don't see anything ugly. I see fascinating creatures that live through amazing extremes and make it into our tanks to build complex structures to protect themselves.
Pretty awesome really.

My rocks don't even look like rocks anymore. Too many snails. Had to get rid of some rocks.

It eventually grew on my coral and as my corals grew, the snails tore them open

It eventually grew on my coral and as my corals grew, the snails tore them open

I have one in my green slimer, monti setosa, hammer, torch and leptastrea and none of them care. Heck the leptastrea just grows over the snail.

Keeping a salt aquarium...a piece of the reef, means keeping all sorts of creatures that dwell in the ocean. I'm not sure why you would want to destroy things that are harmless. Isn't it counter productive? I don't see anything ugly. I see fascinating creatures that live through amazing extremes and make it into our tanks to build complex structures to protect themselves.
Pretty awesome really.

That's a pretty great way to look at things. Wish I would have thought of that.

A friend of mine had them, they never really looked bad to me...

Back
Top Bottom