Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Voxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
What are those?

Hello, to begin I want to let you know that this is my first venture into SW as I have stuck quite solidly with FW. Despite this my Uncle needed to get rid of his tank and I couldn't help but say no when he said his snail was going to have to die along with all of his live rock. Anyway I have had it for a few weeks and understand everything was well established but on the brink of disaster as he was spending less and less time on the aquarium so I have a serious algae problem along with a rampant case of unidentifiable bristleworms that do not seem to be afraid of the light nor do they appear to be fireworms. Anyway the current thing I am worried/wondering about is what looks to be these weird little coral looking things that have little hairs sticking up from them. They seem to invert whenever I turkey baste the substrate to get all of the algae off of it and come back out a little while later. Pictures attached below, let me know if anyone is up to trying to find out what the bristleworms are. I made them angry but I am willing to bet that they will be back wondering around outside their little caves in the daylight again tomorrow, thanks for helping me out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4585.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	309988   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4586.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	309989  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4588.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	309990   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4589.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	309991  

__________________

__________________
1 7.5 Gallon (A victim of me learning)
1 29 Gallon (Hopefully the culmination of what I have learned)
GBR's and Cockatoo Apisto's are the greatest, proud owner of a one eyed sterbai cory that lets me pet him, thanks for reading my posts!
Voxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Chris_Nicol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxon View Post
Hello, to begin I want to let you know that this is my first venture into SW as I have stuck quite solidly with FW. Despite this my Uncle needed to get rid of his tank and I couldn't help but say no when he said his snail was going to have to die along with all of his live rock. Anyway I have had it for a few weeks and understand everything was well established but on the brink of disaster as he was spending less and less time on the aquarium so I have a serious algae problem along with a rampant case of unidentifiable bristleworms that do not seem to be afraid of the light nor do they appear to be fireworms. Anyway the current thing I am worried/wondering about is what looks to be these weird little coral looking things that have little hairs sticking up from them. They seem to invert whenever I turkey baste the substrate to get all of the algae off of it and come back out a little while later. Pictures attached below, let me know if anyone is up to trying to find out what the bristleworms are. I made them angry but I am willing to bet that they will be back wondering around outside their little caves in the daylight again tomorrow, thanks for helping me out!
Looks like little filter feeders to me. Do they look like very small feather dusters?
__________________

__________________
Chris_Nicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Voxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Yeah I wasn’t sure if they were going to get any bigger but they look like feather dusters or a messed up paintbrush.
__________________
1 7.5 Gallon (A victim of me learning)
1 29 Gallon (Hopefully the culmination of what I have learned)
GBR's and Cockatoo Apisto's are the greatest, proud owner of a one eyed sterbai cory that lets me pet him, thanks for reading my posts!
Voxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,153
Hard to see. They are either a filter feeding tube worm or hydroids.
One good, one bad.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Voxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Hard to see. They are either a filter feeding tube worm or hydroids.
One good, one bad.
Ok... which one is good??? Iím a beginner, tube worm and hydroids both sound bad..
__________________
Voxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,153
Tube worms are great filter feeders.
The hydroids, in the colonial variety, can be one heck of a pest.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,350
Those hydroids donít really look like the really bad ones to me. See if they spread but Iíve seen those ones come and go b4
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Voxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Could I blow them off the rock and kill them that way???
__________________
1 7.5 Gallon (A victim of me learning)
1 29 Gallon (Hopefully the culmination of what I have learned)
GBR's and Cockatoo Apisto's are the greatest, proud owner of a one eyed sterbai cory that lets me pet him, thanks for reading my posts!
Voxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Voxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Those hydroids donít really look like the really bad ones to me. See if they spread but Iíve seen those ones come and go b4
Well I looked at them closer and they seem to be coming from these white lines that are slowly covering my live rock. They only seem to be emerging at the end of the white lines and only where there is the max amount of flow in the tank...
__________________

__________________
Voxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hose

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Awesome read for those starting out or for those who jut want a great read! Convict2161 Cichlid Discussion 16 07-19-2012 11:32 AM
Why those brown/red plants drop their leaves so frequently? mansiz Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 3 05-09-2003 11:03 AM
Those of you with web sites... swishyfishies Saltwater Reef Aquaria 9 04-05-2003 12:36 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.