Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What are those?

Hello, to begin I want to let you know that this is my first venture into SW as I have stuck quite solidly with FW. Despite this my Uncle needed to get rid of his tank and I couldn't help but say no when he said his snail was going to have to die along with all of his live rock. Anyway I have had it for a few weeks and understand everything was well established but on the brink of disaster as he was spending less and less time on the aquarium so I have a serious algae problem along with a rampant case of unidentifiable bristleworms that do not seem to be afraid of the light nor do they appear to be fireworms. Anyway the current thing I am worried/wondering about is what looks to be these weird little coral looking things that have little hairs sticking up from them. They seem to invert whenever I turkey baste the substrate to get all of the algae off of it and come back out a little while later. Pictures attached below, let me know if anyone is up to trying to find out what the bristleworms are. I made them angry but I am willing to bet that they will be back wondering around outside their little caves in the daylight again tomorrow, thanks for helping me out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4585.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	309988   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4586.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	309989  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4588.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	309990   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4589.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	309991  

Voxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxon View Post
Hello, to begin I want to let you know that this is my first venture into SW as I have stuck quite solidly with FW. Despite this my Uncle needed to get rid of his tank and I couldn't help but say no when he said his snail was going to have to die along with all of his live rock. Anyway I have had it for a few weeks and understand everything was well established but on the brink of disaster as he was spending less and less time on the aquarium so I have a serious algae problem along with a rampant case of unidentifiable bristleworms that do not seem to be afraid of the light nor do they appear to be fireworms. Anyway the current thing I am worried/wondering about is what looks to be these weird little coral looking things that have little hairs sticking up from them. They seem to invert whenever I turkey baste the substrate to get all of the algae off of it and come back out a little while later. Pictures attached below, let me know if anyone is up to trying to find out what the bristleworms are. I made them angry but I am willing to bet that they will be back wondering around outside their little caves in the daylight again tomorrow, thanks for helping me out!
Looks like little filter feeders to me. Do they look like very small feather dusters?

Old 08-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #3

Yeah I wasn’t sure if they were going to get any bigger but they look like feather dusters or a messed up paintbrush.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Hard to see. They are either a filter feeding tube worm or hydroids.
One good, one bad.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Hard to see. They are either a filter feeding tube worm or hydroids.
One good, one bad.
Ok... which one is good??? Iím a beginner, tube worm and hydroids both sound bad..
Old 08-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Tube worms are great filter feeders.
The hydroids, in the colonial variety, can be one heck of a pest.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Those hydroids donít really look like the really bad ones to me. See if they spread but Iíve seen those ones come and go b4
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #8

Could I blow them off the rock and kill them that way???
Old 08-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Those hydroids donít really look like the really bad ones to me. See if they spread but Iíve seen those ones come and go b4
Well I looked at them closer and they seem to be coming from these white lines that are slowly covering my live rock. They only seem to be emerging at the end of the white lines and only where there is the max amount of flow in the tank...

Tags
hose

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com