What do I have growing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafecci

Aquarium Advice Activist
This little guy came about from the live rock I purchased. He moved from his original place to several others till he found his favorite spot. Wondering is anyone new what it was or what it will "Grow up to be...LOL"

Attachments

• 100_3229.jpg
    100_3229.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 43
That fact that it is moving around would make me believe it's an anemone. It could be an aptasia but, I'm not sure as the tentacles look different. I'd keep an eye on it. If it is aptasia or majano anemone, it will multiply pretty quickly and you'll want to get rid of them.

I agree with Fluff and Ziggy.... Aiptasia it is as I am currently at war with them in my tank... Every time I think I got ride of them all another one shows up..... If you can try to destroy them as soon as possible they are like Roaches once you seen one there is more to come.....:D JMO

I had a different looking one - something simular but had more "spiky" tentacles. I was told they were aptasia. These multiply like mad! and I continue to remove them.

Attachments

• 100_3231.jpg
    100_3231.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 35
That looks like a button polyp...not a bad thing! Not sure what the first one is, my LFS has a lot of them on their LR and I always checked what I bought to make sure none of those were on it. They don't quite look like aiptasia but are definitely anemones of some sort.

Here is another thats hanging out?

(SO many things????????) :confused:

Attachments

• 100_3237.jpg
    100_3237.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 45
Agree with newfound77951... that last picture is definitely aiptasia. The one before it looks like some type of palythoas (button polpys). The very first picture kinda looks like a majano anemone - which as fluff mentioned, you don't want.

OK lets get this all sorted out

Pic 1 - majano anemone - GET RID OF
Pic 2 - Button Polpys - Ok to keep
Pic 3 - Aiptasia - GET RID OF

Do I got this right??

I've done some research on each of these and I'm finding mixed ideas if they are good or not......what do you guys think? Give me some straight out answers. And how do I take them out? Can I touch them? Will they soil my tank if I just inject them and kill them? Your the ones with the tanks and fighting the battles. Not the ones behind the text book that has never had his hand in a tank...giggle.

You have it right on what to keep and what to get rid of.
As for removal, you don't want to just take them out. An injection of kalk paste or joe's juice is your best option. I don't know the size of your tank but with just killing off two, it shouldn't soil your tank. Just be prepared to do a water change after, to be safe.

Pic 1 - majano anemone - GET RID OF
Pic 2 - Button Polpys - Ok to keep
Pic 3 - Aiptasia - GET RID OF

Got several (5 or so) of the majano's. and only 1 aiptasia that I can find. Now they are neatly nestled on their own rocks, should I just remove the rocks?

Removing the rock isn't necessary and will actually cause them to withdraw and make it harder to inject them.

Whatever you do, do NOT try to "manually" remove them with tweezers, a screwdriver, etc. When you break up majana/aiptasia it will spread like wildfire. Removing the rock will only help if you intend to throw it out.

One thing about those "button polyps"... if they are palythoa, they contain a pretty potent neurotoxin in their mucous. Google "palytoxin" and you'll get the info you need. Short story is wear latex gloves when handling them, and if you're doing something that may cause them to squirt stuff (like cutting them) wear eye protection.

OK - visited the LFS and they gave me Joe'sJuice? Gave the aiptasia and the majano's a dose and I guess we will see. They are surely not happy - sucked right in and haven't been out yet. As for the Button polyps turned the rock around to get a good pic from the top and there are about twelve covering the back side of the rock. LFS said they were fine to keep in the tank. Goshhh - You all are soo smart. How would I ever do this without ya'LL

Back
Top Bottom