What fish is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mjpendrey

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friend got this fish cus his Fiancé liked it, trouble is they don't know what type if fish it is, it is pink and shimmers blue and purple in different light has spike like thing coming off it's top fin and has pink spots on it's fins. I think it's beautiful and said I'd get an I'd for them. :)

Attachments

• image-2874747257.jpg
    image-2874747257.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 281
  • image-2084353924.jpg
    image-2084353924.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 283
Mjpendrey said:
My friend got this fish cus his Fiancé liked it, trouble is they don't know what type if fish it is, it is pink and shimmers blue and purple in different light has spike like thing coming off it's top fin and has pink spots on it's fins. I think it's beautiful and said I'd get an I'd for them. :)

Looks like a male anthias,if the two front side fins have a red spot on them when extended

LOL I wasn't too far off, it was one of the three choices. I'm learning :)

Fair enough comment Buffy. I guess I forget that the names can be a little daunting, as I'm in the scientific name business - both in using existing names and generating new ones. (I'm a fish taxonomist.) As for pronunciation, I hear different ones - even among my colleagues. Still, you can't go too wrong with this one: the first bit (genus name) sounds like sued (Pseud - meaning false), then Anthias (pronounced as in the common name). For the specific epithet (that's the second part of a species name), the skwami (squami - scaly) and pin-is (fin) - hence one common name is scaly-fin anthias. Mostly names aren't too much of a challenge if you break them down into the component parts.

Fair enough comment Buffy. I guess I forget that the names can be a little daunting, as I'm in the scientific name business - both in using existing names and generating new ones. (I'm a fish taxonomist.) As for pronunciation, I hear different ones - even among my colleagues. Still, you can't go too wrong with this one: the first bit (genus name) sounds like sued (Pseud - meaning false), then Anthias (pronounced as in the common name). For the specific epithet (that's the second part of a species name), the skwami (squami - scaly) and pin-is (fin) - hence one common name is scaly-fin anthias. Mostly names aren't too much of a challenge if you break them down into the component parts.

Thank you for explaining that. It makes alot more sense how the names came about now. If it would let me post just 4 characters it would be:

WOW!

Sorry didn't mean to highjack thread.

Back
Top Bottom