What fish is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I seen this at my lfs and it is a fish it has a fin on top that go fast, sorry for the pic that's was the best I could do, thanks

image-20440293.jpg

image-2309622814.jpg

Cowfish are very cool looking. But they get about 16" fully grown and release a toxin when stressed that will wipe out all the fish in your tank. :(

Beengirl said:
Cowfish are very cool looking. But they get about 16" fully grown and release a toxin when stressed that will wipe out all the fish in your tank. :(

Cool thanks I will not get that for my thanks

It's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but it is probably Tetrasomus gibbosus - humpback turretfish. If so, at around 8 inches it doesn't get quite as big as the usual longhorn cowfish (Lactoria cornuta), but you still have the same problem with toxin (ostracitoxin).

Tony

Tony Gill said:
It's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but it is probably Tetrasomus gibbosus - humpback turretfish. If so, at around 8 inches it doesn't get quite as big as the usual longhorn cowfish (Lactoria cornuta), but you still have the same problem with toxin (ostracitoxin).

Tony

Wow! I was wondering how you always know the scientific names of the fish. Looked at your profile, and had to look up what a "fish taxonomist" is!!! Lol. I'm obviously not as smart as you are!! :) sounds like a cool job, though!!

Thanks Beengirl. Yes, identifying fish is a large part of my job, and I enjoy coming on this website to lend a hand. I have a reasonable library to call upon (several hundred books and several thousand papers on fish identification), so I don't have to rely on my faulty memory too much!

Tony

Back
Top Bottom