What happen to my starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ndirish21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 26 bow and a starfish, goby,2 clown fish, 6 line wrasse, and a cardinal. One day I notice I haven't seen my starfish and goby for awhile. Clean the tank and there is no sign of them. What could have happened to them?

I have a 26 bow and a starfish, goby,2 clown fish, 6 line wrasse, and a cardinal. One day I notice I haven't seen my starfish and goby for awhile. Clean the tank and there is no sign of them. What could have happened to them?

Was it a sandsifting star? Its in the sand. If you sand bed is not a year old and 4in+ it probably died. What kind was it?

Yeah I can't take a picture lol. My starfish and goby are gone. I was wondering if my other fish ate aggressive or what

When you say missing a while, how long? Days, weeks? More than a couple days I figure your goby dead and scavenged. I would think some part of the starfish would be found if dead. What do you have for your cuc? When you cleaned did you move sand or rocks cuz the goby could be buried under a rock or something too.

About a week and a half. My goby never went in the sand before. And I moved my live rock around and no sights. The starfish I haven't even seen a piece of. My cleaning crew is just crabs

I bet they were scavenged then. The fish you listed would not have killed them but possibly contributed to their disappearance. Maybe the goby was bullied and stressed and that could have added to a death. Do you have any nassarius snails? They along with crabs can clean a carcass pretty good. Also, depends on what crabs you have. Maybe you have non reef safe crabs possibly?

I have Mexican red leg hermit crab. Are they safe? And if they killed my starfish what should I get to clean my tank that's safe?

Those should be reef safe. Doesn't mean they won't pick at a dead or dying fish or starfish though. Your starfish probably succumbed to poor water quality, starvation, or some other cause, and was then scavenged.

Maybe hes in the rocks? Did you drip accumulate him? The crabs prob ate him if he died so their would be no trace but they wouldn't attack him. If you tank is under 6mo this may be the reason he died, or the accumulate process. Maybe you dont use ro water im not sure. They are sensitive to copper which tap water can contain.

I had him for awhile. I would say about two months. Then they both went missing.

Maybe your tank was too small what size is it? If it was too small then it def would have had to be fed.

I have read that volcanos are very intolerant of changes in oxygen level, salinity, temperature, and ph. Do you use a hydrometer or refractometer? Do you top off with RO to offset evaporation?

Back
Top Bottom