What is goin on with anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonny bats

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-3226683465.jpg

What is goin on with my anemone? It seems to be secreting something from its mouth? I've had it for about a month, perfectly healthy and seems to be doin fine untill I saw this

That's what I figured! Just wanted to be reassured bc I've never seen it before lol, thnx for the reply

RedLeggedHermit said:
your anemone looks very bleached.

crister13 said:
Yeah I noticed that too. What lighting do u have?

I thought some nems could be that color? Ive seen then in LFS that color and some a dark green. Sorry I'm new. So all nems should the green color? Just so I know in the future. My tank has only been up for 9+ months and I don't have a nem.

No nems should be white. Not all green though. They just have to have a color like green, tannish brown, and red are good slog with other colors. As long as its not white it's pretty much ok. White symbolized the loss of zooxanthellae, the photosynthetic algae that lives in corals and other photosynthetic animals. The animals (corals, anemones) will expel the zooxanthellae when stressed or insufficient lighting is present. Hope this helps.

I thought some nems could be that color? Ive seen then in LFS that color and some a dark green. Sorry I'm new. So all nems should the green color? Just so I know in the future. My tank has only been up for 9+ months and I don't have a nem.

there are diffent colors of anemone. but when they are clear like that. thats a bad sign. it wont be able to photosynthesize enough to survive without better lighing so its zooxanthellae can grow back. (that is what gives the anemone's tentacles their color.)
im still new as well. and i know this after loosing one already for the same reason. :p

RedLeggedHermit said:
there are diffent colors of anemone. but when they are clear like that. thats a bad sign. it wont be able to photosynthesize enough to survive without better lighing so its zooxanthellae can grow back. (that is what gives the anemone's tentacles their color.)
im still new as well. and i know this after loosing one already for the same reason. :p

There are tube anemones that are non-photosynthetic and will appear to be translucent in the tentacles. In these cases, no zooxanthellae is present in the anemone's tissue. There are some great looking ones out there, although I've never dabbled with them.

Back
Top Bottom