Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What is going on in my tank??? (PICTURES INCLUDED)

Hello all, I am new to salt water aquariums. I started up a few months back and until now, I haven't had any problems. First off, my tank has been turning green lately. I drained half the water about 3 weeks ago and replaced it with new. It stayed clear for a few days but now its back to having a green tint. Secondly, there are these hair like things growing on the rock as well as on the hermit crabs. Here are some pictures of the tank, the filters and the hairy rock. Please help me correct this. I havent lost any fish in about 3 - 4 months now.

THE TANK

THE FILTERS

THE HAIRY STUFF ON THE ROCKS

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tommy

Old 02-18-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

here are some more pictures of the hairy stuff on one of my hermit crabs. Please help me out.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have you tested for nitrates lately?

My guess is your canister filters are trapping lots of nitrates and that's feeding the algae outbreak.

I'm not exactly sure what the hairy things are but they're most likely some kind of algae. Generally speaking, canister filters are not a good idea to use with saltwater aquariums. They can trap waste and release nitrates back into your system. If you do use canister filters...you have to change out the filters quite often.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Interesting. Does the harry stuff have any color? Its hard to tell from the images. Its likly a form of hair algae and as Zeen pointed out you should check the water quality for nutrents that the alge will use.

You mention no loss of fish for 3-4 months so the tanks been setup for a while and that time can allow for nutrent build up to start. What kind of water are you using for your top offs and new saltwater mixing? Have you checked for phosphates amonst the normal water quality tests?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenn
Have you tested for nitrates lately?

My guess is your canister filters are trapping lots of nitrates and that's feeding the algae outbreak.

I'm not exactly sure what the hairy things are but they're most likely some kind of algae. Generally speaking, canister filters are not a good idea to use with saltwater aquariums. They can trap waste and release nitrates back into your system. If you do use canister filters...you have to change out the filters quite often.
Does anyone know how to change the filters?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to faerykisses
your filter should have come with instructions. mine did.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
if not, go to yahoo or google and type the make and model in and download the owners guide/book
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the canister filter on ur right is a algae generator if you don't clean it often...trust me, i baught one and now i almost going to throw it out of the window.

oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pictures, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com