What is in this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking at another possible tank to purchase. This tank is 210g and about 8 years old. I cannot really tell what is covering the majority of the live rock in these two photos. Mushrooms Maybe? (Sorry for the fuzzy photos the owner took these not me.)

img_1177543_0_8819a0cff53f1d87e9b355ab29ecc6bc.jpg

img_1177543_1_b7ff4ddaf736c14253fb9c9b2ebf6dad.jpg

Also is that the heater stuck to the back wall of the tank, and does the algea look heavy on the rock. (I don't want to buy someone elses problem tank.)

When does the silicone start breaking down on glass tanks? (Would this tank need to be resealed before I set it back up?

Can't really tell with the blurry pictures about the algae, but it looks like a tank full of leathers. And yeah... that's a heater in the 2nd picture. Looks like it works - the light appears to be on!

They could be leathers or a type of brown mushroom. If they are mushrooms they seem to be straining to reach the lights.

They could be leathers or a type of brown mushroom. If they are mushrooms they seem to be straining to reach the lights.

I think that they may be cabbage leathers. Hope I got that right

And I do think that they are straining for the light.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I think that I am going to start a thread on the proper lighting in a 210g 29" height versus a 180 g with 24" of height.

The only thing that worries me on the 210g is the lighting requirements.

With a 29" height you would likely be limited to MH or T5 HO. With the T5 you would need to be careful with placement for certain corals (put the less light-demanding ones lower and the more demanding ones higher)

With T5 it may be problematic finding lamps and fixtures longer than 48". You can get them but they are not as plentiful at a lot of shops.

There's definitely a toadstool in there. The polyps are not extended at all, though. That is definitely a shame. A good toadstool with the polyps extended looks like a funky chia pet and looks great in a reef tank if you have the space for them.

Personally I would love the tank. It's 210G and reef-ready. I would love to try to convince my wife to let me get that. We have the space.

I'm not sure how much the whole setup is but I've got my fingers crossed for the original poster that it's a really good deal.

Can i see a toadstool?

Back
Top Bottom