What is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gomer4378

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new to all of this and wondering what this is.
tank is not done cycling yet but its really neat to see things popping up.
2 things to identify please.
the last pic is of the little feather duster looking dudes, there real small, what are those?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 100_2319.jpg
    100_2319.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_2320.jpg
    100_2320.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_2318.jpg
    100_2318.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 59
When I poke it, it completely disappears into the rock, by reading on that link wouldnt that be classified as aiptasia?

Its been 4 days and now there is 5 more!
upon all the reading I have done I guess I'm going to buy some Kalk and try that.
Any other opinions?

Looks like a very pretty majano, I must say. But if they're multiplying THAT quick, you can see why they're classified as a pest.

As far as that last picture goes... you got it right - real small feather dusters. They'll come and go as nutrient levels change in your tank. I had a ton when I first started my tank. Now... not so much.

Melosu also said majano, but after reading on them and trying to touch them, they completely disappear into the rock like aiptasia.
Here's some better pics.
I guess it doesnt matter which one it is cause either one has to go but I'm curious for my own personal education.

Attachments

• 100_2334.jpg
    100_2334.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_2335.jpg
    100_2335.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_2336.jpg
    100_2336.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_2341.jpg
    100_2341.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 52
I got the guy in the first pic out. When I touched him, he slipped back into a wide opening in the rock and I grabbed him with some tweezers ( he was trying to run away) at the base and threw him in the trash.

I've been looking up a bunch more pics and I'll have to agree that the first pic is a majano, but now I'm fairly certain that the new pics are aiptasia.

anyone else agree?

Last 4 pics look to be aiptasia. I have a pretty decent remedy in my sig :)

Thanks innovator, that's the remedy that I'm going to try.
I'm not trying to dissagree with any of the experts, I'm just trying to learn how to detect things on my own.
Who knows, this site may not be here in a couple of years ( that would really suck)
I'm trying to learn, read, and ask as many questions as I can so I can feel comfortable with this awsome hobby.
Just don't want anyone to think that I'm stepping on anyone toes.
Thanks again everyone.

Is the first picture the same thing as the later pictures you posted? They look so different.

Those later shots you posted are definitely aiptasia. No doubt. But I winced when you mentioned you grabbed it with some tweezers and threw it away. Pulling those guys off the rock, or trying to scrape or cut them is something you do NOT want to do. Any little bits of leftover aiptasia in the tank will find a home and sprout new ones. It's like blowing the fuzz off a dandelion! Whatever you do, don't pull on them. Be patient and nuke them as others have mentioned.

well...tweezing it probaly caused fragments to be left behind. You'll have a crop of them soon from that. Read Innovator's cure, or go and get some Joe's Juice from your LFS

Yes the first pic was something diff from the rest.
It was the majano that I grabbed with the tweezers, and I'll keep that in mind( it's a no no!) but it was basically " walking along " in a little cave when I grabbed it.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Back
Top Bottom