what is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like a bristle worm. Whether they are bad or not depends on the person. They do eat up some bad stuff in the tank, but if I remember correctly they can hurt a reef, that is if you've got one. I also know that they can get huge if eating well and not hunted. How big do you think it is?

whoops I made a mistake and am back with better info! They apparently are reef beneficial. The reason why some people don;t like them is because they "supposedly" like to kill clams. But they honestly do get VERY large.. they stories I usually red about are currently reaching 12 inches.

here is a link to some info. http://www.rshimek.com/reef/OnlineArticles.htm

HTH

My newbie opinion? I think so.. that or a mouth of a clam under the rocks :wink: but remember... I am a newb in satwater world :mrgreen:

definately not a clam because i watched it crawl from inside the rock then under it. reefrunner, could you give me some more info on them?

bristle worms are benificial detrivores, there are only a couple of bristle worms that ae considered predatory on sessile inverts. IMO, smaller bristleworms (less than 6") are one of the most important parts of your clean up crew ;)

I was kidding about it being a clam! Just making fun of myself as being a newb... :oops: hey reefrunner, what are the other types of bristle worms??? I thought there was one..

definately a bristle worm. hardly any are bad, if they start annoying soft corals, clams, or you just want to get rid of them use a cleaner shrimp, it won't dig deep in the sand for them, but i've seen them eating the worms that come to the top of the sand.

Back
Top Bottom