What is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cushadow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought this piece of LR from my LPS and it has this brown stuff of it. My hermit crabs or snail won't touch it and it is growing. Is it bad? Or harmful? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422882206.043476.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks like cyanobacteria to me. Does it come off easily? I would just vacuum it off if so. It's not the end of the world- it comes from nutrient rich water and light.

So it is kinda a good sign being my tank is high in nutrients for my corals? This is my tank so far.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422890736.261424.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422890754.693508.jpg

No. On the contrary, high nutrient systems generally aren't the best place for corals. Have you been feeding this tank? What livestock is in it besides crabs and a snail? Vacuuming it out with the next water change should help out.

Ok thanks for the advice. I read you comment on others post, and you seem to know what your talking about. The hermits seem to be content with the algae so haven't been feeding.

Is the cycle over? How long have you had the tank running? You could also use some extra flow in there.

The cycle should have been over according the tests I did. It is 2 months old.

I'm thinking flow is a problem, since the only flow you have seems to be the small power head coming through that partition.

In your opinion where do you think I should be more flow? Upgrade the power head or add another one in the larger section?

If you can find a small one that works and doesn't make your tank look ridiculous, then add another, if not, upgrade the one you have. What power head are you using there, and what size tank is this?

Back
Top Bottom