WHAT is IT ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enjoyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sitting looking at my tank last night {saltwater} i saw a very Very VeRY small something ? jumping around , Then with a closer look , i see there is maybe 1500 of these things . My fish are not paired .so there not spawn to small anyway . I feed my fish brine and there about the same size as baby brine maybe smaller , but they move different they tend to jump . so i don't think they are brine shrimp . I have 5 red hermit crabs and 10 snails . I also bought live plants from the fish store 2 weeks ago . thats were i think they came from . What are they and are they safe ?

This topic has been moved to it's current forum.

Sounds like you got some pod action going on, without a better description, it would be difficult to ID the particular type of pod ie...amphipod, isopod, ostrapod, etc... They, with very few exceptions, are benificial detrivores and free food for your fish. Congrat's on finding the joy in night diving in yout tank
thumb.gif

In the links section under saltwater and reef there is a link for the hitchhikers guide. Click on that link and see if you can find a photo of what you saw.

With out a photo on this end its hard to say. But kevin is on the correct path.

Pods

Try looking in your tank a couple of hours after the lights go out with a red filtered flashlight. Lots of critters will dive for cover from white light, but will ignore the red. I keep finding stuff in my tank with that method.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom