what is it, revisited.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I cannot post a picture because these little guys are two small to photograph. I will do the best I can to describe them. First off, they appear like little tiny brown feather dusters. A feathery appendage on a stem. Second, they are not growing apart from each other, they are growing in clumps, in several spots of liverock. They do not appear to resemble any aiptaisia I have seen and the 9 peppermint shrimp do not bother them at all. I have had the liverock about 2 months now. This is the first real growth I have seen on it except for the coralline algae.
I have not seem them close up like the barnacles did, they seem to stay out all of the time.

Best estimate, would these be feather dusters? There are about a couple dozen of them.

wtf3.jpg

Do they look like that?

Or do they look like this?
polyp2.jpg

Do they retract into the stem when you touch them? Or close like a coral?

Look at my photo gallery under "common hydroids". They can be peeled off in a mat if they get too numerous. They have a powerful sting and can harm nearby corals but on the other hand they are small and tend to stay put.

Mark

ok, they look just a little like the first pic RR, these are brown and have more little feathers to them and longer stems. They look nothing like the second one. I do have single specimens of the ones like the first pic, just one here and there. I have not tried to touch them as they looked too small and fragile.

I looked at the hydroid photo, they do not look like that, they are more individualized.

Back
Top Bottom