what is sticking out of my sand..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smarkalan83

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had just done a 15 gallon water change on my 60 and I had sucked up some of my sandbed because I had a cyano outbreak that was not getting better.. now I have all these things sticking out of the sand and they were not coming up w the cyano....can someone tell me what this is and what I should do with it ....its making my sand look terrible.. also can I add live sand to an already cycled tank....I would like to make my sandbed a little deeper....any ideas...thanks

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111129_194027.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111129_194027.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 155
How much sand did you suck out or how long have you had the sand bed? That happens to my tank too when I suck out a good amount of sand. I believe they're those live stuff that's responsible that makes our sand 'alive', ya know, those organisms that is responsible for lowering our Nitrate... I forgot the name though. Harmless, but taking out too much sand at once, espcically if it's a DSB system is a bit dangerous on the stability of the system.

I have a shallow sand bed and I lightly vacuum it everytime I do a water change.

those are tube worms. add dry sand (rinsed well) . don't bother with "live sand". dry sand will become live in no time at all and that bag live sand is questionable at best.

Also with adding the sand what is the best way to.add it if it is dry sand and if I add live sand....obviously I should shut off power head...

live sand is a waste of money. there is no easy way to add sand to the tank now. it's definitely going to cloud the water. i would rinse it well, and put it in a container, like a cup or fish net, and slowly lower it to the bottom and dump it out gently.
it shouldn't hurt the fish, but i wonder if covering up all of those tube worms will kill them and cause some kind of spike. probably not, but i would have a water change on hand for after the addition of the sand anyway, to remove the cloudy water.

Back
Top Bottom