What is This??!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarius75

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone tell me what this white growth is or looks like so I know what to do with it?

Attachments

• tank alien 005.jpg
    tank alien 005.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 83
  • tank alien 006.jpg
    tank alien 006.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 71
  • tank alien 003.jpg
    tank alien 003.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 71
Yea just not sure....it doesnt shy away or anything like that....and its pretty firm...has a little whole on top...thought maybe a worm was in it????Hope not though cause that is one big worm if sooo....lol

Looks like a now dead sponge. You may of killed it. Put it in the water and try to let air out by moving the rock around.

This is how it has looked for a long time....so not sure how I would have killed it?? It was on the back of the rock...I thought it was a piece of the grass dying off..today was cleaning day..that is when I had the opportunity to really see it. So again it has been this way for awhile....but could be dead...so do I just scrape it off the rock?? Would it be a specific type of sponge??

All sponges, including the Red Ball Sponge will require some very special care to survive in the home aquarium. The most critical concern is that it never be exposed to the air. If it is, air becomes trapped in the matrix of channels that line the inside of its body. With air blocking the path for planktonic food to reach its cells, it will basically starve.
So if it does ok back in the water and you get most of the air out, it may be ok. Its a harmless filter feeder. So it should be fine.

ok thank you....I will look it over a little more....I was not aware that stuff would grow in my tank...as I am running a very basic tank...with normal lights...not salt water lighting....so very interesting for me...:) Thank you again

So with others help n reading I have come to the thought that this is definately some weird little sponge...doesnt seem to be hurting anything...so Im going to just leave it alone....see what other shape it takes..lol Thank you again to all. Have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom