What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacksteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone tell me what this is? They look like little brownish anenomes. Any ideas? and are they bad for my tank?

Attachments

• CIMG0282.jpg
    CIMG0282.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 167
  • CIMG0287.jpg
    CIMG0287.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 161
  • CIMG0286.jpg
    CIMG0286.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 172
They are aiptasia anemones, pests and spread very quickly. Google some options on how to get rid of them, and don't wait or you'll have a large infestation before you know it!

What is in your opinion the best way to get rid of them?

I used aiptasia-x on mine. My tank was full of them. I bought it from someone and he didn't take care of them. It comes with a syringe and it works like a charm. Kills them instantly. Just follow the instructions on the bottle.

I used 2 peppermint shrimp on mine. I had several in my tank within a week they were all gone. I only have 1 peppermint shriimp left and haven't seen any Aiptasia in probably 7 months.

I have used both peppermint shrimp and aiptasia x. I like the peppermint shrimp they seem to make sure there is nothing to left to regrow or spread. I have also used boiling water, lemon juice and extra salty water but none has worked better than my killer peppermint shrimp.

Thanks for all the help. I have one peppermint shrimp right now but i think the aiptasia has grown too big for him to eat. What is safer on corals aiptasia x or lemon juice because I have two aiptasia right next to some pushing Xenia?

There is a couple of types of peppermint shrimp one will sway back and forth when upset or excited that is the one you want. There is probably better ways to tell but all of mine that kill.

Blacksteel go with the aiptasia x for that. Xenia can be very sensitive IMO when it comes to ph changes and lemon juice can change it just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom