What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny E

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Could someone tell me what this is? I have no idea what it is called so I can not do a search on it. Thanks for all the help.

See if this is better. If it is what do they eat?

star6.jpg

Yep, it's an asterina sp star fish. Some eat bacteria, some eat detritus and some eat coral polyps. To know which species it is, you need to observe it's feeding habits. IME, the coral predators have a mottled appearance, like this...
star4.jpg

Yours looks like the harmless kind, but if your keeping corals you may want to remove it just in case.

Thanks reefrunner,
I just noticed it today. It might be a little bigger than a pencil eraser. I was lucky enough to get a picture before it went in a hole in the rock. The tank has only been up for 2 months but I plan to get some corals down the road.

These little guys are NASTY! You usually get them as hitch hikers on live rock. We thought they were really neat-AT FIRST! They multiply like crazy and cause damage to stony and other corals. My suggestion is to get rid of it as soon as possible if you have corals in your tank. We lost many corals before we found out it was these little guys.

Stacy

Back
Top Bottom