What is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some will only grow to the limits of their cages, some won't. And this has less to do with the fish than it does captivity, we are not feeding them as much as they get in the wild and our glass cages cannot contain enough mass or variety of food. We stunt their growth.

cmdw4587 said:
Unfortunately fish do not stop growing based on the size aquarium they are placed in. They will keep growing until they reach their adult max size.

So you are saying my aquarium is not big enough for when he reaches max size?

Actually reef runner your incorrect. Fish do not grow to their tank size. The reason people think this is because the bigger/messier fish you have in a small tank, the more organics and nasty stuff are present in that water. And having pollutants in the water is what stunts the growth, not the size of the enclosure. And a lot of people feed just as much as they would eat in the wild, and in captivity many specimens get larger than they would in the wild. To the op, that angel is awesome. Definitely keep us updated!!!!!! Can you post a pic of your tank? 425 gallons not liters right? What else do you have with him? And watch out he will probably eat some coral.

Yes 425 gallons. And yes I'm sure he will eat some but it happens I'll put up some more pics of the tank

crister13 said:
Actually reef runner your incorrect. Fish do not grow to their tank size. The reason people think this is because the bigger/messier fish you have in a small tank, the more organics and nasty stuff are present in that water. And having pollutants in the water is what stunts the growth, not the size of the enclosure. And a lot of people feed just as much as they would eat in the wild, and in captivity many specimens get larger than they would in the wild. To the op, that angel is awesome. Definitely keep us updated!!!!!! Can you post a pic of your tank? 425 gallons not liters right? What else do you have with him? And watch out he will probably eat some coral.

Perhaps you should re-read my post, I do realize the impression I gave with the first post, but I thought I cleared that up in subsequent posts. I did not say the the size of the tank stunted growth, I said the lack of food, and variety of food stunted their growth. I believe water quality will also effect their growth, but that is hardly the only factor. At any rate the end result is the same, stunted growth.

You state many fish get larger in captivity, do you have any studies that support your statement? I would be interested in reading them.

Not many sorry I meant to say they have the ability to get larger. Fish don't ALWAYS get stunted. And when I stated that organics are the reason I was talking about in a tank that is too small and also with enough feedings and variety of food.

Back
Top Bottom