What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look like Majano anemones, possibly... A mushroom being an anemone itself, usually doesn't lose a battle like that, unless it's up against something with a more potent sting. Majano is similar to Aptasia, and fits that bill.

So these are considered pest?! And I recently realized the mushroom has some how managed to recover. It has made a full recovery since it landed on them, the anemones(?) We're completely unharmed. I noticed what looked like a hard shell around the base, but that's was weeks ago and i can't see it now.

Yes, Majano are pests. Mainly because they spread so quickly, and have the ability to sting corals and fish.
I'm not positive that's what they are, but they look like it. Try googling Majano images and check them out. Some are colorful with greens and pinks, but some are just mostly brown, like yours.

Armoredspider said:
That's not majano. It looks more like hitchhiker coral.

Well, it's obviously a hitchhiker because he didn't purchase it.
If you believe it's a coral, then what type do you think it is?
To say its definitively not Majano, and then say something as vague as its " a hitchhiker coral", isn't really reassuring to your ID. Looks like an anemone to me.

Yea I did some research and it looks like its an Majano anemone :/ i think it looks somewhat nice sadly lol

Flreefer said:
Well, it's obviously a hitchhiker because he didn't purchase it.
If you believe it's a coral, then what type do you think it is?
To say its definitively not Majano, and then say something as vague as its " a hitchhiker coral", isn't really reassuring to your ID. Looks like an anemone to me.

I didn't mean to be rude I just have never seem a majano that looks like that. I don't know the names of many corals and I thought it looked like coral so that is why I was vague.

Jeremy S. said:
Yea I did some research and it looks like its an Majano anemone :/ i think it looks somewhat nice sadly lol

Haha, yeah many of the Majano are quite nice looking. The only reason most people don't keep them in their tanks is because in a few months time, they can take over a tank, not allowing for the placement of other specimens.

Boiled water, lemon juice, or aptasia x. You can use a turkey baster to put it directly on it.

Sorry Jeremy, was busy. + 1 to spider, Aptasia x will work the best. It's usually best to inject them with a syringe, right into the mouth. If you didn't want to purchase the Aptasia x, you could try one of the other methods first. I have read where using super hot lemon juice, works better than boiling water, or room temp lemon juice. It kinda combines two different approaches.

Back
Top Bottom