What is this??!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nah only warns them. Now my big (bullseye) one i can't say for sure. He constantly moves in the shadows around the tank and is constantly snapping. I do have a few snail shells piled up too. Lol.

Update just saw a cleaner tentacle go near the hole the thing went for it then again and it snapped pretty loud

Snapping could be a pistol shrimp too. I have a tiger pistol and hear him popping on a regular basis. It's loud enough to hear over conversation in the room. From what I know of pistols, though, I think they tend to live at the bottom and burrow in the sand, not hide in a hole of a rock. I know next to nothing about mantis shrimp, so I couldn't tell you if they hide in rock holes. Hope you figure out what it is. :)

Found my mantis in the rockwork about mid tank level. Had a series of caves and paths it hunted.

If he knows which rock it is its good cuz you can remove it and either freshwater dip it or as I did many moons ago obliterate it with a hammer and caught the mantis and re-homed it to a friend.

If he knows which rock it is its good cuz you can remove it and either freshwater dip it or as I did many moons ago obliterate it with a hammer and caught the mantis and re-homed it to a friend.

Yeah I know which rock it is just how to get him out?

Remove rock and dip it into freshwater in a bucket. Should exit on its own. As I said I just smashed my rock with a hammer and when it broke into rubble it had no where to hide.

Remove rock and dip it into freshwater in a bucket. Should exit on its own. As I said I just smashed my rock with a hammer and when it broke into rubble it had no where to hide.

It has coral or polyps on what about them and what do I do with him after flush him?

If you have a sump you could put it there. Otherwise ask a LFS if they want it. As far as the coral in the FW dip, maybe another member can better answer that. I would think depending on what type of coral it is it could survive it. Maybe not. Might just be better to put it into a bucket and break it up or in a QT on top of egg crate and wait for it to go under the egg crate. There is also trapping:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/xterminator-mantis-shrimp-trap.html

Yeah I know which rock it is just how to get him out?

What I did to get rid of a mantis was get a bucket of freshwater, and take the rock and twist it around REALLY FAST (twist your wrist while holding onto the rock) this should expel the mantis without exposing the corals to too much freshwater. Don't flush him, take him to the LFS, people buy them ;)

Yea that is 100% a mantis shrimp. Almost looks like a Zebra mantis! Those fellas are actually pretty beautiful. You may find someone actuall willing to buy him or atleast take him.

If the corals are zoas or palys, they'll tolerate a FW dip just fine. I FW dip mine for about 3 minutes all the time before I put them in the tank. Zoas are hardy, can even be out of the water for a good period of time. They are exposed to air every day on actual reefs.

Back
Top Bottom