What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rilesjr44

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some sort of purple stuff on my sand bed does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it here's some pics

image-2783445022.jpg

Attachments

• image-1954506519.jpg
    image-1954506519.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 135
Red slime possible from high nitrates or something from ur ro water

Looks like Cyanobacteria to me. It's definatly a nutrient issue. Do more water changes, feed less, increase flow are just a few things that you can do to help get rid of it. Now it won't happen quickly either it will take time. :)

Thanks for responding so fast so should I vacuum out that purple stuff while doing a water change. Also I feed on the right side of the tank this stuff is on the left where there is high flow hmmm

image-905005744.jpg

Ya you can syphon it out. It dosent matter what side you feed on cyano will grow anywhere it wants to. As it progresses you will start to see air bubbles under the Matt. It's the process of the bacteria eating nutrients and producing oxygen.

Ok cool yeah there are bubbles starting to form and I'm gonna move the power heads towards it thanks everyone for the help

Ok repositioned power heads did 2 water changes even sifted the sand bed where it was and it came back also cut back on feeding how do I get rid of this stuff will my cuc do anything to it.

Back
Top Bottom